Phone: 251-405-1207 Fax: 251-432-6843 251-433-3821
Areas of Practice:
Duane A. Graham
Print This Page
Mr. Graham's practice areas include oil and gas law, real estate, and trusts and estates. In the oil and gas area, Mr. Graham has represented numerous oil and gas producing companies in matters ranging from title evaluation, regulation by the State Oil and Gas Board, and litigation, especially litigation concerning royalty disputes and coalbed methane issues. He has particular expertise concerning severance taxes due on the production of oil and gas and has litigated numerous assessment and refund claims in this area. In the real estate area, Mr. Graham has significant experience in title evaluation, commercial leasing, and eminent domain proceedings. In the trusts and estates area, Mr. Graham advises clients on estate and tax planning issues, including the drafting of wills, trusts, and powers of attorney. He also represents clients in connection with the administration of trusts, decedent's estates, and conservatorships, including probate court litigation. Mr. Graham currently serves as a temporary judge of probate for the Probate Court of Mobile County.
- U.S. Oil & Gas Association
- Mobile Estate Planning Council
- Esco Oil a Gas, Inc. v. Alabama Department of Revenue Administrative Law Division of the Alabama Department of Revenue Trial Date: November 15, 2000 Attorney: Duane A. Graham opp. Counsel: John Breckenridge Assistant Attorney General Case: Tax assessment set aside In its entirety
- Torch Operating Company v. Alabama Department of Revenue Client: Torch Operating Company. Case: Tax assessment set aside In Its entirety, plus small refund ordered (case settled on appeal)
- Union Oil Company of California v. State of AlabamaCircuit Court of Mobile County, Alabama Trial Date: Opp. Counsel: Claude Patton Assistant Attorney General Case: Tax Refund ordered, decision affirmed on appeal in Alabama Court of Civil Appeals
- Levi Hopkins v. Estate of Obra Pharr Client: Estate of Obra Pharr Case: Claim against estate for real property set aside Re: Claim seeking possession of real property claimed to have been conveyed prior to decedent's death Client: Esco Oil & Gas Inc. Re: Oil and Gas severance tax Probate Court of Mobile County, Alabama Trial Date: August 28, 2003 Attorneys: Broox G. Holmes, Duane A. Graham Miller, Hamilton Re: Ownership of right-of-way upon vacation of street Trial Date: February 2003 Client: Union Oil Company of California Re: Oil and Gas Severance Tax Opp.
- Esco Oil a Gas, Inc. v. Alabama Department of Revenue
- Torch Operating Company v. Alabama Department of Revenue
- Union Oil Company of California v. State of Alabama, Circuit Court of Mobile County
- Alabama Levi Hopkins v. Estate of Obra Pharr, Probate Court of Mobile County
Awards and Recognition
- The University of Alabama School of Law, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, 1984, J.D.
- Honors: Coif Law Review: Alabama Law Review, Editor in Chief, 1983 - 1984
- University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, 1981 B.A. Honors: Summa Cum Laude Major: History
- University of South Alabama, Mobile, Alabama
- Alabama, 1984
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit U.S. Supreme Court, 1987